Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trying Your Hardest

I just got back from an awesome week at "Camp Grammy." Every summer my mother-in-law has all the grandkids come for a week to play and have fun (we're aloud to come because we bring the kids) :). We had a great time swimming in the pool, playing games, eating good food, etc. One of my favorite parts was the races I had with my nieces (ages 4, 6 and 8). I went for a run and when I got back we raced around the cul de sac again...and again...and again. It was so fun because I could tell that they were excited to show me how fast they could run and they were really trying their hardest. My oldest niece Robyn said, "Aunt Emily, I want to race you but don't go easy on me. Run as fast as you can." I love the way that kids have a genuine interest in learning, working and accomplishing their goals. I also love that they are less likely to get discouraged than me. My youngest niece Macy said, "Aunt Emily, can we race again but maybe you could slow down so I wouldn't be so far behind." Macy didn't give up just because she was behind; she set realistic goals and then worked hard to accomplish them. All three girls and my little guy (who was trying to keep up the entire time even though he fell and skinned his knee), were red faced and sweaty when we finally went inside but no one complained and everyone wished we could have gone longer. I love running but too often I look at it as a chore and don't really try my hardest. Running with my nieces and my almost two year old son reminded me the importance of enjoying what I'm doing while putting forth full effort to accomplish my goals.

No comments: