Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Thursday, July 15, 2010

New Pair of Legs

During my pregnancy I've been having problems with varicose veins. At first my only problem was that they looked ugly but now they're starting to throb. (I can only imagine what it'll be like when I'm 9 months along.) During my walks and runs I've started feeling pressure in my legs and feet. I've gotten tired more quickly and when I get home I feel like I need to put my feet up for the rest of the day (not an easy task when there's a toddler running around). I finally broke down and got a pair of compression running socks. Is it weird to be in love with a pair of socks? I am. I first wore them around the house. I had a million "on my feet" things to do and knew my legs would be tired and throbbing by the end of the day. My amazing socks proved me wrong. I felt better than I have in months (five to be exact). The next morning I wore them on my run and the same thing happened. I had more energy because my legs and feet weren't dragging. When I got home I didn't feel like I needed to sit and elevate my legs for a million hours. It was great!

Compression socks work by helping increase circulation. This not only helps with varicose veins but also with the way your muscles recover after exercise. Many runners and bikers wear compression socks to avoid soreness and feel the added circulation benefit during exercise. As usual, the people at Fleet Feet were amazing. They measured me so I'd get the exact right fit. I came home with CEP Compression Sportsocks, size 3. When I got home I did some research on the Internet to see how Fleet Feet's prices compared to others and I couldn't find any that beat the price at the store. Plus, online I wouldn't have been able to talk with someone about what would work best for me. What can I say? Not only am I in love with my new socks, I also have a crush on a running store. Get a pair and tell me what you think.

This is the compression sock alternative. Support hose anyone???? I'll stick with my hot pink running socks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hot pink :)

The Busby Family said...

Emily, are you pregnant? Your not supposed to look like that with your second baby. Maybe your first, but not your second. Just kidding, Em, you look great! I totally wish I could run when i'm pregnant, then maybe I wouldn't have 60 pounds to run off when i'm done, I have 15 left, man it is taking a long time. You look great in those socks!

Katrina said...

I'm so glad they help!

Brooke said...

"Man, Emily! You ARE cute :)"