Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sweet Feet

When I started running, I got horrible blisters on my feet. Not only did I find myself walking funny, I was also embarrassed to ever show my feet unsocked. I'll spare you the details but they were pretty bad. After talking with my running buddies, I discovered two things that drastically improved the cuteness and comfort of my feet.

FIRST, I learned that I needed to buy running shoes at least a size bigger than my usual shoes. My suggestion is to go to a specialty running store like Tulsa Runner, Fleet Feet, or Runner's World because they'll help you find exactly the right fit for you. Even though I like places like Famous Footwear, Footlocker, Finishline, etc., they are not the place to buy running shoes. You need an expert to help you find exactly what works for you.

SECOND, I discovered the beauty of running socks. Seriously, running socks are one of my favorite things ever.
These Nike ones were my first. I've had them for years and they still work well. I like that they're thin and the material prevents you from excessively blistering. I've run three marathons and multiple half marathons in this brand. I haven't bought a new pair in a long time because I've not seen them as frequently in stores. I think the other styles (shown below) have become more popular.
I received these Adidas ones for my birthday this year. They're the same as the Nikes except the bottoms have padding. While I haven't tried these on any of my really long runs (10+ miles), I've found that they work really well. They're not as thin as the Nikes but they do provide padding which I think helps my heels and arches feel a little less strain.

Finally, I've just recently tried these Bal Ga socks. They're a lot like the Nikes because of the extra padding on the bottom but they fit a little more snuggly around my arch which gives me more support. Even though I feel like I'm cheating on my trusty Nike socks (J/K), I think I'm going to buy a couple more pair of Bal Ga.
I'm all about getting the best deal and saving money but I have to say that when it comes to running, it's totally worth the money to get the premium shoes and socks because they make everything else more comfortable and fun.


No comments: