Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Juli and Sherri



"I have always enjoyed running. It is such a great way to exercise both your mind as well as your body. After becoming a "Mom," I have been fortunate to be able to continue running. I just had to plan it out a little more. One thing I did that helped me get in a run was join a running group. We ran early in the mornings around 5:15 a.m. We would run all over the streets and trails of Tulsa. We would see the moon going down and the sun rising. It was beautiful. My husband and children were asleep and never even missed me most of the time. I would arrive home in time to get everyone up, dressed, and off to where they needed to be. My running group had other "Running Moms and Dads" like me. We would share many stories, experiences, tears, and advice on our morning runs. It is important to take care of ourselves as well as our families. I find running makes life feel less stressful and it allows me to eat my chocolate without guilt. But most important, for me, besides the physical health that running provides running is also spiritual. I have met the neatest people and treasure the wonderful friendships I have gained through running. After a run, "Life really is Good!" I love to run!" Sherri

"What motivates me to run is the energy and sound mind that I have after the effort. I started at age 19 as I was allowing the Lord into my life and really needed something positive to do with myself. Now after 25 years of it I cant imagine life with out that wonderful feeling of either an easy run or a hard race, there is still nothing like that good sweaty feeling. There are also a lot of wonderful people in the running community, they obviously want to challenge themselves in the same way you do, so you have lots to talk about on the road to better health." Julie

No comments: