Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Shanda

"Why do I run? That's a good question. It started as a challenge. A friend challenged me to run a 5k with her a year ago, so I started training, and to be honest, it was really hard for me. I felt like I was working so hard to run 30 minutes, but I still wasn't making 3.1 miles. But I wasn't going to quit, so I worked harder by learning more about running, my body & what it took to succeed at running (I love runnersworld.com!!!). The day of my first 5k I was so nervous. My husband was a great support to me and ran by my side the whole way. I finished in 27 minutes even. It was such a rush! I couldn't believe that I did it, especially with how much I wanted to quit at the beginning. That 5k changed the world of running for me. Instead of thinking of running as a chore, it became a time for me. I love running outside, hearing the birds chirping, feeling the cool breeze, sorting through my thoughts. I even enjoy running with the jogging stroller hearing my girls giggling and enjoying the scenery as well. I run because it makes me happy. I get to enjoy Heavenly Father's beautiful creations, and take time out to take care of me! You can't beat that! Next for me came an out of the blue 10k (signed up for it the day before & with no training managed to run 10 minute miles), and now I'm training for a half marathon. I also love that when I participate in these "fun runs" I'm helping out great causes. The second 5k I ran was for Hannah & Friends, a charity started by Notre Dame Football Coach Charlie Weis. The day of the run he was there to start the race and talked about his daughter's disability and how grateful he was that his family could afford to care for his sweet daughter, but that other families aren't so fortunate and so this charity was helping them. He got teary, I got teary, and I was happy that I was there to help make a small difference in someone's life. Running can make a huge difference in your life and in others lives. What a great way to help make the world a better place!" Shanda

No comments: