Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Faster Mommy Faster!!

My friend Ann has been a runner for a few years. She's a new mom and has found the time to get back into shape by waking up super early to attend a boot camp. Below is an excerpt from her email.

"I actually was thinking about signing up for the Jenks Half...I've been doing this boot camp here in the mornings and it's been really good...the interval training and weights have improved my mile time by 50 seconds in only 3 weeks without feeling like I was pushing too much...I'm kind of curious to see what it will be after 6 weeks. I tell you this because although I've never run for time and I'm definitely on the slower end of the spectrum, it's kind of fun to see it improve and not hate every step...I keep seeing in my readings, "work smarter, not harder..."

I totally agree with Ann. You don't have to feel like your lungs are on fire to get faster. I've actually read a lot about getting faster but I feel like much of the advice is complicated. I liked this Runner's World Article because it gives practical advice on how to improve. You don't need to be at a track (or be a track star) or have any special running gadgets. Check it out and see what you think.

2 comments:

beks27 said...

I also agree with everything! Because I do like to run for time (even though I'm not fast any more) I like to run sprints. I'll sprint for 15 or 20 seconds, then jog for 15 or 20 seconds. This helps to, like the article said, let my body feels like to run fast, but I don't over do it at the same time. When trainig for a race I do this workout once a week and it definitely helps with my time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting FitMePink! I'm thrilled to find a fellow running-fit-blogger! I love your "Why We Run" list on the sidebar. I couldn't agree more!