Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ready...Set...Run! 5K/Fun Run

Coming up this Saturday, May 9 is the 3rd Annual "Ready...Set...Run" race sponsered by The Autism Center of Tulsa. All proceeds go to benefit the autism center and it's not too late to register.

Because she has a child with autism, Rachel has decided to participate in this event. You can donate to her team and/or register to run yourself.

Rachel: "I have never run a race before, although I was a pretty sporty kid. I played volleyball, basketball, softball and swam like crazy growing up. After high school varsity sports, I went to college and gained the famous "freshman 15". Ever since it's been an uphill battle. After two children and about 10 years of not really taking care of myself, I didn't like how I felt - so we joined a local gym. I was immediately addicted. I really like group fitness classes because there's motivation, music, friends, and a schedule (so you can't just keep putting off going to the gym until it's too late that day)! It really is hard to put yourself first when you have children, especially a special needs child. Just getting out the door can be a struggle! But if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of your family! So, even on the days when I don't make it to a fitness class in time, I still try to go and run on the treadmill. When the opportunity came to run a 5K for Autism - I jumped at it. Autism is my life and trying to be fit is another important part of my life now. Honestly, I'm a bit nervous about the race, as it is my first one (of many more, I hope). But, finally I get my chance and I'm really excited!!!"

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for spreading the word about this race and for doing this blog! It's a great idea to get moms excited about being fit and to share running stories and encourage each other! Wish me luck on Saturday!
P.S. I saw your dad tonight over at the Summers' house while I was out running in the neighborhood!

Andrea said...

Good luck on your first race! That's exciting!
I was planning to run the Full Moon Run on Saturday night, but after reading this post, I think I'll do this run instead.

Stephanie said...

What an inspiration! Good luck on your race.