Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Friday, April 16, 2010

Are You Kidding Me KFC??

I admit that I often come across a little self righteous about eating nutritionally so I will confess that as I write this blog I'm eating a cookie (okay...you caught me...I'm eating two cookies). I really don't think it's a big deal to splurge every once in a while. With that being said, I was completely disgusted when I saw a commercial for this new KFC Sandwich. In my opinion, this goes way beyond a "splurge." In case you can't see the fine print, this sandwich includes multiple slices of cheese and bacon between two pieces of fried chicken. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? It's no wonder that the rate of obesity is rising so quickly. I looked up the nutritional information for the sandwich. Check out the results below. (FYI: This doesn't include the potato wedges and soda that come in the combo.)
Calories: 540
Fat Grams: 32 (10 saturated and 0.5 transfat)
Sodium: 1380mg (you should only be getting a max of 2300mg/day)
The potato wedges add 260 calories, 13 fat grams and 740mg of sodium.
A diet Pepsi wouldn't add calories or fat but does up the sodium intake by 65mg.
Grand Total for entire meal:
Calories: 800
Fat Grams: 45
Sodium: 2,185
Once again, I'm not against a splurge every once in a while but I think this is something we should stay away from entirely.
(Just to give you some perspective, the amount of fat in this meal is equivalent to 5 pieces of Papa John's 10in Pepperoni Pizza.)

5 comments:

Joan said...

"I would end up splitting this thing and making at least two sandwiches out of it IF I ate KFC, but I don't."

Becky said...

I would so eat that if I wasn't allergic to wheat! LOL. Good thing I have dietary restrictions or I'd be as big as a house.

Danielle said...

Yup, we definitely need good health care because that sounds like a walking heart attack. :0

Lauren said...

Grossnes. But I do love their popcorn chicken! lol

suburban hippie mama said...

oh my! i would prob eat it to (i'm a pig like that and have little to no self control when it comes to eating out...at home it's another story...only buy healthy food) BUT the thought of KFC makes me want to puke! ugh.