Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Little Cross-training

Yesterday I had to cut my run short because my daughter was not feeling well and because it was a little too chilly outside for her to be out in the stroller. I came in and put her down for a nap but really wanted to do a little bit more. What, you might ask, did I do at home without a treadmill or pool or stationary bike, that allowed me to get in a little cross training? Well, I'll tell you. I happen to own a jump rope that has removable weights in the handles. So I jump-roped on my back porch. It was an awesome addition to my workout. I did several sets of 50 and 100 jumps, alternating between different kinds of jumps, as well as varying the speeds. Because of the weights in the handles my forearms also got a pretty good workout. Jumping rope is a great cardio exercise that kids love, too, so next time you need a little something more, get out your rope and have your kids jump with you!

No comments: