Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Monday, May 18, 2009

More Marathon Mamas!

These moms totally amaze me! Read below to find out why they run. Emily: "There are so many reasons why I run! The most succinct answer to your question is there is a peacefulness and renewal I find in running. Running is my sanity and is what enables me to be a better mom. I have two boys – Kellen (three) and Eli (will be one June 3rd). As any mom can relate to, my biggest challenge as a running mom is setting aside the “mom” time to step out the front door and go for a run. I try to remind myself that taking even 20 minutes out of the day will have an exponential positive impact on my role as a mom. I’ve also learned that it is a lot easier to take the time when I sneak out of the house before anyone is awake! With my first pregnancy, I was put on complete bed rest for pre-term labor at 28 weeks. I can still remember the first time I ventured back out after the pregnancy. While I was ecstatic to be able to be moving again, I was so discouraged at how much strength I’d lost throughout the 2 ½ month bed rest. Just walking though the neighborhood was difficult, so running again was a far reaching goal. I started out slow, and eventually was able to build up to a jog. The persistence paid off, and I was able to complete the OKC marathon the following spring. There are people who run for the competition, or the socializing. I run because it allows me to be a better version of myself in every way imaginable. One of my biggest joys is sharing this love with others, secretly hoping they will love it as much as I do!

Sarah: "I have twins who are 8. I also have a step-son who is 21 and just graduated from the University of Oklahoma. I have struggled with my weight my entire life, but after the kids were born, my weight ballooned out of control. I reached a point where I knew I wasn't healthy and where I could not do all the things I wanted to do with my kids. I started running to lose weight and because I wanted to try and set a better example for my kids. I keep running because I love the energy and strength that comes with it. Running is a part of my lifestyle now and I hope my kids will enjoy it someday as much as I do."

No comments: