Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cinco de Mayo Clean Air Challenge

Andrea (left) and Valerie (right) ran this race in Tulsa on Friday night (May 1st). Sponsered by Fleet Feet Sports all the race proceeds went to the American Lung Association. Despite the rainy weather 533 people showed up to run for the cause and join in on the great post race party. Nice work Fleet Feet! Go to okrunner.com to get the race results.

Valerie: "I love to run. It makes me feel like myself again. I ran track in high school, so I had a rusty foundation. I run now for lots of reasons. Mostly to keep in shape after loosing my baby weight (It only took 4 years) :), but I have found that it is a good way for me to release the tension and frustrations I feel from day to day life. When I run I can think clearly and it’s the chance I have to focus on myself for just a little bit of time. I love the challenge it brings, trying to do better each run by either going farther than ever before or being faster. With the addition of the 5k’s, I have found it gives me something to train for, helping me stay focused on a goal and something to work towards. Plus, the races bring out the competitor in me that hasn’t had an outlet for a long, long time. Having the challenge of a competition with other women my age or with my pace, gives me the encouragement to keep going and do better. It in turns inspires me to do better at the rest of my life too.
All in all, running has given me a happier attitude, brought me friendship and has helped me make and accomplish goals that I have set for myself. I love it and hope I can continue to get do it for a long, long time."

Andrea: I've never really been a runner. In high school, I played a lot of different sports, and in college I stayed in shape by taking classes at a local gym. It wasn't until I had my 3rd child that I decided I wanted to become a runner. In the past, I've disliked running, but now, I've become completely addicted to it. These are the reasons why I love to run:

1. It makes me feel great. When I run, I feel great mentally and physically. That feeling lasts all day. I am a better wife and mom when I take the time to do this one little thing for myself. I get less stressed and have so much more patience when I run in the morning.
2. It keeps me healthy and fit.
3. Running outside gives you that wonderful feeling that you got when you played outside as a kid. I love being outdoors!
3. It sets a great example for my kids. Sometimes my 9 year old runs with me, and sometimes all 3 of my little boys follow me on their bikes. They know that exercise and being healthy is important to me, so hopefully it will always be important to them, too.
4. Running in local races helps give me a goal to work toward. I sign up for 5k's and other races to keep me motivated. When I know I'm training for something, I push myself harder. Plus, it's just so fun to run towards a finish line with people cheering you on.
5. It helps me bond with my "runner friends". I have a great group of ladies who like to run, and I look forward to running with them during the week and doing races with them on the weekend. It's a great bonding moment when you just finished a hard run or a race together. Having the support of my friends makes me want to continue running.
6. There is always a new goal that I can set. I can always try to run a little faster or a little longer than the day before, and nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment when you've met your goal.

1 comment:

beks27 said...

Way to go! Isn't running in the rain and mud so much fun?