Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Michelle's Half Marathon Journey

Today Michelle sent me an update about her half marathon training. I'm so proud of how hard she's working. One of the things that most impresses me about Michelle is her candidness about how she works through the inevitable struggles of running and, more importantly, life. Read her update and get inspired to make the needed changes in your life.



Sept 14 – Almost 2 months ago? I can’t believe I’ve been training for 2 months! I would like to say that have kept up with ALL of my runs, (Monday - 3 miles easy; Tuesday – track workout (for speed); and Thursday – hill or tempo run), but truthfully, it’s been hard just getting in a few miles during the week. You see, I was counting on Strollin’ Mom’s during the summer – when no one was coming because of the heat and vacations – to get most of my week-day mileage in. When we started a new Stollin’ Mom’s, and I had to start over (from walking) with the group, I became challenged to find time later in the days to get my actual runs in. That’s where I stand now…challenged. I can say that I have been having so much fun on the weekend (long) runs! It amazes me every time I say it, but I LOVE to run 6 miles or more! Since I have last blogged, we have done 6, 6.2 (I missed that weekend), 7, 8, 6, 9, 6. My favorite runs of those were the 8 and the 9-milers. My least favorite was the stinkin’ hill route we ran this last weekend for 6 miles. BUT, my legs feel so strong and good. I may end up loving hills, yet!

I am committing to going to my first REAL track workout tonight, to everyone that is reading this. I need accountability! If you come into Fleet Feet, ask for Michelle to ask how the track workout went, please. I can find a million and a half reasons to not go, but the main reason is fear. Fear that people will wonder why I am there. Fear that people will think I am slow. Fear that I will look stupid. I know where all of these nasty thoughts are coming from, so please say a little prayer hat I continue to step out of agreement with them. I belong at the track. I am slow, but that’s why I’m there – to get faster. I will not look stupid as I am out there getting stronger and burning calories (mega).


As you may remember, my husband and I were in counseling with our pastor last year. We have continued to better our marriage through my counselor over the past few months. Last Wednesday, it came out that I was feeling really guilty for leaving the house “again” to run. My counselor asked me to use the communication model with my husband to tell him what I thought, felt, and needed concerning running. With the thought that this training will not last forever, I told him I wanted to run after work on Monday nights (unless I got the run in with a friend earlier that day), run at the track on Tuesday evenings, and run at Fleet Feet for tempo or hill runs on Thursday evenings. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, our 3 kiddos do karate. I hated the thought of missing every class, and hated the idea that my hubby would have to go it alone for three evenings and a whole Saturday, every week. This week will be a test of how well I remember that this training will only last for a few more weeks (until Nov 6, specifically), and more importantly for me, that” there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ”. The guilt is not from God.

I will be running the Jenks Half Marathon on November 6th with at least one friend. I am beginning to solicit for cheerleaders, now. This will be my first half and I want it to be memorable. I’ve heard that this particular half is “fast”. I’ve heard stories of the slow runners (me) coming in way later than the rest of the majority, and that they ran so slow that it caused the Jenks police car (pace car) to overheat! I need support, if you have some to provide. Michelle


If I'm not in labor, I'll be there cheering Michelle on at the Jenks Half. I hope a few of you are able to run it as well. It's not too late to start training!

No comments: