Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Great Advice

Today I was looking over some of the emails I received from my Fleet Feet running coach Angi Oxley. A few days before the Route 66 Half Marathon, she sent out a last minute, checklist email. One of the things she said was,

"Trust in your training and know that it will get you to the finish line."

I love this piece of advice because it reminds me of two important things. 1. You have to put in your time. There are no short cuts to success. 2. Once you put in your time, know that you'll be successful.

What is it that will define success for you this year? What are your goals? Figure it out, write it down, make a plan, follow through and reap the rewards. If one of your goals is to complete a race (5K, 10K, half marathon, or full marathon) and you need help, look into the many resources that our running community offers. I was skeptical and a little nervous to join a group at first (What if I can't keep up? What if I don't meet anyone fun? What if... What if... What if...). Once I finally made the commitment, I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. The Fleet Feet group I joined had a place for every runner and walker, there were great people and the support was outstanding. Don't just talk or think about your goals; take the steps to make them successes.

No comments: