Oklahoma Running Mom

Running in Oklahoma adds new meaning to the phrase "Hot Mama."

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

When the Going Gets Tough...

One of the things that I LOVE about running with my Fleet Feet group is that we get weekly emails from our coaches. The emails consist of running tips, words of encouragement, important information, etc. Even though I wasn't able to join my group this Saturday (My husband had an early morning meeting so couldn't stay with our little guy.), I still benefited from the knowledge of my coach. Below is an excerpt from her email.

"It really has been a mentally challenging month for me. And I have had to take it one step at a time, much like we learn to run our race, one step, one block, one mile at a time. We stay focused on the task at hand and push forward until we have completed our journey. Running for two hours or thirteen miles is a physical challenge, one you can be very proud of; but it is also very much a mental challenge. You must look beyond the negatives, the pain and fatigue, and see the positives. There are many evenings that I just want to come home and collapse. I don’t want to run another mile or study another chapter. I truthfully want to just curl up in a ball and go to sleep! But instead I lace up my shoes and go for a run and when I’m finished I am much more energized to do my chores and my studying before going to bed. And I remember that I do these things because they will make me a better person. I will be a stronger runner. I will be better prepared come test time to make a good grade. I will feel less stressed because I got a load of clothes washed! All of these things are for the positive because I am focused and face my challenges head on." Angi

I hope you keep Angi's advice in mind when you feel like you want to give up. Just put one foot in front of the other and before you know it, you'll have achieved successes you never thought possible.
Em

No comments: